Friday, July 25, 2008

Dr. Clegg


Yesterday afternoon I met with our new Superintendent, Dr. Randy Clegg. Dr. Clegg is meeting with each principal in ISD 191 and I'll confess that I was a little apprehensive. Dr Clegg is my boss and I had only met him one other time when he visiting the schools, there was no set agenda for our meeting yesterday and I wasn't sure what we were going to talk about. We met for over an hour and it was a wonderful meeting. I love my job and I'm looking forward to the upcoming school year. Meeting with Dr. Clegg created another level of excitement as I learned of several opportunities that are ahead of us. Specifically there are two opportunities that I am really looking forward to.

Principals will be involved in work that is focused on getting us into classrooms and then connecting with teachers on a meaningful level around what is happening in the classroom. This is particularly exciting as one of my goals for 2008-09 is to be in each classroom at least once per week. The work that Dr. Clegg and other members of the administrative support team will be leading us through will enable me to visit classrooms and then engage in a conversation with staff about what type of instruction is happening at Sioux Trail.

I was also very excited to learn that we share the same definition of "curriculum". He shared some ideas that had been implemented in his former district (Clinton, Iowa) around identifying the outcomes that students need to achieve, making the list manageable, sharing it with all staff (their list was web based) and then fine-tuning the list on a consistent basis. I'm very excited to see where ISD 191 will go with this idea.

After meeting with Dr. Clegg I know that we have a Superintendent who is all about teaching and learning. I consider us very fortunate to have the opportunity for our staff, students and families to work under his leadership.

No comments: